Inquiry Post 4

Visualizing Understanding

1. How did you select the images and digital platform for your project?
For this portion of the project I felt that creating a summary of the information I already had was the best way to visualize what I have explored with different teaching styles, to then think about these ideas in relationship to the text set I explored in my third inquiry.


2. In what ways did creating the visualization deepen your understanding of the topic in ways that reading alone might not have?
After exploring the text set (my notes for text 1 and 2 are posted here), I found that note-taking was another visualization tool that is very useful for me.


This is an example of the process I had when exploring this information and deepening my understanding of art as an interdisciplinary field and how the main teaching styles might interact while trying to explore the drawing medium. I was asking a lot of questions about what types of exercises and activities could be used to engage students with different types of information relating to art and which teaching method would accommodate the activity best. In this process, both my note keeping and the visualization at the top of the page help me to reflect on the main points of not only the text set and potential exercises using different elements of the teaching styles, but also the key components of the different teaching styles themselves.

3. How has the process influenced your thinking on visualization as a vehicle for learning and/ or how might you use visualization in your future teaching?

I think after this process, my understanding of visualization and mapping through timelines and lists, has been validated as a useful tool for learning, especially when concerning new information. I think that I could use a similar style of concept mapping in my classroom to help students reflect on new concepts.


Comments

Popular Posts